Bird Watching Tour in Sri Lanka
Located close to the equator, Sri Lanka has ideal weather to attract birds escaping from winters and monsoons across the world. Relative to the size of the country, it’s bird life is extremely rich. Approximately 433 species of birds have been recorded…
When you arrive at the Bandaranaike International Airport, pass immigration, collect your luggage and walk through the exit. A Blue Lanka Representative, who will be your chauffeur cum guide throughout the tour will be waiting for you at the exit. Colombo will be your first stop on this bird watching tour in Sri Lanka. After a brief city tour, you will check in to Galle Face Hotel for the night.
The next morning, you will begin a four hour drive to Sinharaja and check in to the Rainforest Eco Lodge for two nights. Later that afternoon, we have scheduled a bird watching tour for you in the Sinharaja rainforest. There are about 280 different kinds of bird species found in Sinharaja, including about 34 endemic birds. So plenty of looking around to do, which is why the whole of day 03 is also scheduled for exploring the Sinharaja rainforest.
On day 04, you will transfer to Chaarya Hotel in Tissamaharama. In the afternoon, a jeep will pick you up for a tour of the Yala National Park. By about 6pm, you will be taken back to your hotel to relax for the rest of the evening.
On day 05, we have scheduled a full day bird watching tour at the Bundala National Park. This park is internationally recognized as a wintering ground for migratory water birds in Sri Lanka. About 197 bird species can be found here; therefore we advice to make good use of your entire day at the Bundala National Park.
The next morning, you will depart to Nuwara Eliya and check in to Golden Ridge Hotel to freshen up. In the afternoon, we have scheduled a bird watching walk at the Hakgala Botanical Gardens. This gardens are one of the best places to see migratory birds during the North-East monsoon and some endemic montane bird species.
On day 07 of this bird watching tour in Sri Lanka, you will visit the Horton Plains National Park in the early morning. This is a nature trail of about 9.5km both ways, including a stop at the spectacular World’s End viewpoint and the ferocious Bakers Falls.
Kitulgala is your next destination, just 2-3 hours south of Nuwara Eliya. In Kitulgala, you will explore the Belilena prehistoric cave area to find some unique bird species. Palm Stone Retreat will be your accommodation for the night.
On day 09, you will visit the Makandawa Rainforest in Kitulgala for another bird watching experience and then move on to Negombo – the final destination for the tour. In Negombo, you will check in to hotel Jetwing Beach, after which an interesting boat ride on the Muthurajawela Marsh is scheduled for you in the evening. This is a wetland at the Southern end of Negombo Lagoon and the boat ride here is a good experience for bird lovers.
The next day you will be transferred to the airport depending on the time of your flight.
We have now completed this adventurous bird watching tour in Sri Lanka. This itinerary covers in detail all the popular locations for bird watching across the island. If you have any further requirements or changes to be made to this itinerary, kindly get in touch with us and our team of friendly consultants will assist you.
- Trip Length: 10 Days
- Discovering new bird species in Sinharaja rainforest
- Indulging in beautiful sceneries at the Horton Plains National Park
- Going on a bird watching trail at the Hakgala Botanical Gardens
- Capture Rare And Unique Bird Species In Kitulgala
- Encounter Rich Biodiversity And Endemic Species In Horton Plains
- Catch A Glimpse Of The Greater Flamingo At Bundala
- Trekking Through Luscious Nature Trails In The Virgin Rainforest In The Country
Places you will stay
- This birding tour offers an opportunity to spot around 175 birds including all 33 endemic birds of Sri Lanka.
- The best time for bird watching is from October to April, when the migratory season kicks in.
- Wear clothing colors that will camouflage yourself.
- Pack a field bag for birding with a pair of binoculars, camera, a notebook, drinks and snacks.
- Follow bird watching ethics: stay away from nests, minimize loud noises, walk softly, keep your mobile phones on silent, be patient for sightings and avoid chasing or intentionally flushing birds.
- Do not get closer to nests or sit near nests for too long as the birds will fly away without coming to their shelters.
- For best sightings, think beyond the box for spots such as rooftops, canals, trees, parks and dense areas.
- Bring sunscreen to prevent harsh sunlight during safaris.
- Keep an insect repellent within hand reach.
What is the best time of the day for bird watching?
In the morning
How much time is required to explore Horton Plains?
It will take about 03-05 hours depending on your efficiency level.
What to bring with me?
Don’t forget to bring a binocular and your camer
What to wear when in Sinharaja?
Recommend to wear long pants with good pair of socks. Walking shoes.