In Sri Lanka, the quest to see wildlife is as alluring as wanting to lounge around on one of the exotic beaches.
Sri Lanka has one of the world’s highest concentrations of endemic species.
Sri Lanka is one of the top 5 bio diversity hotspots on the entire planet.
Why Sri Lanka, not Africa?
- While Africa is indeed an excellent option for wildlife exploration, Sri Lanka is an island that offers a good concentration in a small space. Hence your chance of spotting a leopard or Asian elephant is higher.
- You’ve probably heard of snorkeling with turtles in a lot of places… but how about snorkeling with dolphins? Sri Lanka gives you that option too!
- A jeep safari in Sri Lanka means you can enjoy your day amidst the wildlife and jungle atmosphere and yet come back and relax at a luxury resort the same evening.
What is a Jeep Safari?
National Parks in Sri Lanka are explored by means of a jeep safari.
Usually, the tour operator that you plan your Sri Lanka holiday with can arrange the jeep safari for you.
You have to wake up early on the morning that you decide to do the jeep safari. By about 5.00 a.m. your jeep will arrive to pick you up and take you to the National Park that you want to visit.
Most Jeep Safari packages include the following:
- 4WD jeep
- Park entrance (Tickets)
- Experienced Driver (will be Guide)
- Service Charge and other all taxes
The vehicle sent to you for your safari ride is a comfortable 4 wheel drive that gives you good views inside the jungle. The jeeps can handle all types of terrain and are designed especially for safari use. They have comfortable seats, pockets to hold your bags as well as bean bags to help keep your cameras steady! The driver is usually an English speaking one who will also be your dedicated guide throughout the safari. They are experts in the field and are glad to impart with their knowledge on wildlife in Sri Lanka.
You have now embarked on your safari ride at the crack of dawn and are just about entering the National Park at about 5.30 a.m. Watching the sun rise in the midst of a jungle is a breathtaking sight indeed. The sun breaks through the tree lines and you can see the park with all its beautiful creatures.
A jeep safari ride can last anywhere from 3 to 6 hours, depending on how much wildlife exploration is done by the guest. Some popular scenes captured by tourists are:
- leopards crossing ahead of your vehicle
- birds drinking water beside a crocodile
- wild elephants drinking from their water hole
- black bears roaming in the forest
- hogs shepherding their young
- wild boars and peacocks walking around the jungle
As you pick up pace on your jeep, hold on to your belongings as the roads are pretty uneven and cameras leaping out of your seat are not a surprising thing.
When you approach animals such as leopards and elephants, drivers will turn off the engine so as to not disturb the animals in their natural surroundings.
After a few hours of driving around, you can stop and have your snack and drinks if you are hungry and then leave the park when you are satisfied with what you have seen. Your driver will take you back to your accommodation where you can relax and unwind the rest of the day if you do not have to move on to your next destination on the same day.